If you’re anything like me, you love taking your dog outside at any time during the year! But how much fun is it to bring your dog to the beach?! [Sand & salt aside… Remember, just like kids, they wash! ] I have a golden retriever, Harlow, as many of you already know & she absolutely loves the water, especially the beaches of Maine! But if you are a dog owner you know that you often ask yourself [especially this time of the year], “Can I bring my dog to that beach? During the day? & until WHEN?!” Problem solved! Below you will find the beaches that allow dogs in Maine, in alphabetical order! [If there are any in corrections, please let me know so that I can fix this post & it is as accurate/current as possible!]
FYI! – It is REQUIRED that you pick up your dog’s poop at ALL of the beaches below! It’s gross, can make other people sick, & it contaminates our beautiful beaches! So please pick it up!
- Acadia National Park – Pets are ALLOWED in all park locations except Sand Beach, Echo Lake Beach, Isle au Haut campground, ladder trails & inside public buildings. Must be under control & not left unattended!
- Bar Harbor – Hadley Point Beach – Dogs on a leash are allowed on the beach.
- Biddeford – Dogs are allowed on Biddeford area beaches before 9 AM and after 8 PM. For more details call Biddeford Parks & Recreation at 207. 283.0841.
- Kennebunk – Gooch’s Beach, Middle Beach, & Mother’s Beach – From June 15th until the day after Labor Day dogs on a leash are allowed on the beach before 9 AM and after 5 PM. At other times of the year, there are no restrictions other than leash and clean-up.
- Kennebunkport – Arundel Beach AKA Colony Beach – From June 15th through September 15th, dogs on a leash are allowed on Colony Beach before 8 AM and after 6 PM. At other times of the year, only leash and poop clean-up rules apply.
- Kennebunkport – Goose Rocks Beach – From June 15th through September 15th, dogs on a leash are allowed on Goose Rocks Beach before 8 AM and after 6 PM. At other times of the year, only leash and poop clean-up apply.
- Kittery – Seapoint Beach, Fort Foster Beach, & Crescent Beach – From June 15th to September 10th, dogs on a leash are allowed on the beach before 10 AM and after 5 PM.
- Old Orchard Beach City Beach – From Memorial Day through Labor Day, dogs are only allowed on the beach before 10 AM and after 5 PM. During the rest of the year dogs are allowed on the beach at any time. Dogs don’t have to be on a leash if they are under voice control!
- Ogunquit – Ogunquit Beach, Foot Bridge Beach, Moody Beach – NO DOGS ALLOWED on Ogunquit Beaches from April 1st to October 1st. For more info call the Ogunquit Chamber at 207.646-2939.
- Portland – East End Beach – Dogs are allowed on the beach from the day after Labor Day to the day before Memorial Day, but are not permitted during the summer months.
- Portland – Willard Beach – From May 1st through September 30th, dogs on a leash are only allowed on Willard Beach between the hours of 7 AM and 9 AM, & 7 PM and 9 PM.
- Attention Portlanders! Other Portland dog owner responsibilities can be found here!
- Saco – Bayview Beach, Camp Ellis Beach, Kenney Shores Beach – Dogs are allowed on Saco municipal beaches at any time with leash and clean-up. Within Ferry Beach State Park, dogs are not allowed on the beach proper, but are allowed in the park interior with leash and poop clean-up.
- All Scarborough area beaches – Scarborough State Park, Ferry Beach, Higgins Beach & Pine Point – From June 15th to September 15th from 9 AM to 5 PM dogs are allowed. 5 PM to Sunrise dogs must be leashed. Sunrise to 9 AM dogs may be off leash but under voice control. Responsible party must have a leash in hand (leash to be 30′ or less in length). All pet poop [including Horse manure!] must be removed.
- Wells Beach – From April 1st through June 15th, dogs on a leash are allowed on the beach. Please keep dogs away from Piping Plover nests! [See photo below to see what I am talking about]. From June 16th through September 15th dogs are not allowed on the beach from 8 AM until 6 PM Dogs are allowed on the beach from 6 PM until 8 PM. Dogs must be on a leash and under control of a responsible person.
- York – York Harbor Beach, Long Sands Beach, Short Sands Beach & Cape Neddick Beach – From around May 20th through September, dogs allowed off-leash on York beaches from Sunrise to 8 AM, as long as owner is present with leash at hand. At other times of the year, dogs are allowed on the beach, as long as owner is present with a leash at hand. Clean-up rules always apply!
Also, please don’t litter! If you carry it in, please remember to carry it out! If we work together we can keep Maine beaches clean for years to come!